SAN FRANCISCO BAY SECTION (SFBS) – PRESIDENT’S NEWSLETTER
June 8, 2018
UPCOMING LOCAL EVENTS
The SFBS has a wide range of training and other events to help keep you busy this summer. Our SFBS website has more details, but here are a few of the key items to watch for:
- Collections Committee – O&M Training for Collections: It’s not too late to register for this upcoming training scheduled for Thursday, 6/13/18 at Service Masters in Concord. This will be an interactive classroom style training that will discuss: easement maintenance, paving project concerns, syphon/large diameter pipe cleaning, SSO mitigation, and safety. Additional details are available on the SFBS website.
- Students and Young Professionals (SYP) Committee – Plant Tour and Drinks at Drakes: The SYP Committee is organizing a treatment plant tour of Oro Loma Sanitary District’s Water Pollution Control Plant on June 20th, hosted by Oro Loma and sponsored by Microvi/Westech. The plant includes a couple of interesting new items including a horizontal levee (a full scale demonstration of an alternative for sea level rise) and a nitrate removal pilot using a biocatalyst (by Microvi). The tour will be followed by a visit to Drakes Brewery. The flyer is available on the SFBS website.
- Annual Golf Tournament: The SFBS’ annual golf tournament will be on July 13th once again at the Monarch Bay Golf Club in San Leandro. It’s a great opportunity to hit the links with your peers. If you have any questions or would like to help with the event, please contact Ed O’Brien.
- Member Appreciation Event – A’s vs. Giants Baseball: We are planning for free tacos and beer before the game – join us on Friday, July 20th at the Oakland Coliseum for this Bay Bridge rivalry. There will be fireworks after the game! Tickets are still available.
- August Dinner Meeting: Our next monthly dinner meeting will be held on August 2nd and includes a presentation by Jason Warner, Oro Loma’s General Manager, on their wetlands restoration project, a complex multi-benefit project helping to restore the environment. The dinner will be held at Chef’s Experience China Bistro in Hayward. It should be a very interesting presentation.
- Collections Committee – 7th Annual Collection System Technologies Vendor Fair: If you are in collections, this training is not to be missed – and it is free (yes – free!), including a catered lunch sponsored by our wide range of wonderful vendors. Over 50 cities and special districts participated in past years; early registration is recommended. The event will be held on August 29th hosted once again by the Union Sanitary District. Thanks to all who helped organize this event!
OTHER SFBS SECTION NEWS
- Northern Safety Day Training: Ed O’Brien of the Covello Group is assisting the Northern Regional Committee with finding speakers for their Northern Safety Day. The event will be held on Yolo County Fairgrounds in Woodlands, CA.
- 1ST Ever SFBS Wastewater Olympics: Thanks go to Dennis Lambert, Rodeo Sanitary District, who organized our 1st ever Wastewater Olympics; as we were trying something new at this dinner meeting, there was some very helpful feedback from attendees; we definitely plan to have more questions if we make it to the 2nd annual event. Gift cards given out to highly esteemed winners. Thanks again Dennis!
- SFBS Lab Committee: Our local Lab Committee is restarting and looking for a few new committee members and leaders. They held a kickoff meeting last month to start their planning for the year. Please contact Daisy, the committee chair if you are interested in joining or would like more details.
- SYP Committee: Congratulations to Matt Kallerud and Kaitie Zusy, the SYP Committee’s new co-chairs and Ambarish Ravi the vice chair for the next year, starting in July. Also, thanks to Kaitie Zusy for her work as the committee chair for the past year. SYP has been busy! This is a great group for new members to network. Please contact the SYP Committee for more info.
Current SFBS Board Members:
- President: Gary Warren, East Bay Municipal Utility District
- Vice President: Chathu Abeyrathna, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
- 1st Year Director: Dennis Lambert, Rodeo Sanitary District
- 2nd Year Director: Mike Walkowiak, Brown and Caldwell
- Past President: Ed O’Brien, The Covello Group
- Treasurer: Roya Joseph, West Yost Associates
SFBS CWEA Liaison: Kathryn Gies, West Yost Associates
SFBS Committee Chairs:
- Awards: Ed O’Brien, The Covello Group
- Communications: Nick Hansen, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
- Collections Systems: Tyree Jackson, City of Oakland
- Golf Tournament: Ed O’Brien, The Covello Group and Lani Good, West Yost Associates
- Laboratory: Daisy Thach-Dalla Betta, Dublin San Ramon Services District
- O&M: Joaquin Gonzalez, Delta Diablo Sanitary District
- Prof. Development: Brooke Wright, Stantec (through June); Laurie Brenner, Union Sanitary District (starting in July)
- Safety: Jerry Ledbetter, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
- Students and Young Professionals: Matt Kallerud, Carollo and Kaitie Zusy, Black & Veatch (co-chairs starting in July)
- Technical Certification Program: Meg Herston, Fairfield Suisun Sewer District
There are a wide variety of ways to get involved! As always, I hope you can join us.