March 16, 2018
SFBS President’s Message:
We have a busy schedule over the next few months, with a wide range of networking and training opportunities! A brief schedule follows highlighting some key events.
- Seminar – Preparing for System Outages: The Professional Development Committee (PDC) is putting on a full day seminar on “Preparing for System Outages” to be held at Central San at the end of this month. Construction project impacts to plant operations are significant – find out what others are doing and recent lessons learned.
- April Dinner Meeting: Our next monthly dinner meeting is on April 5th at the Back 40 BBQ in Pleasant Hill. The O&M Committee helped arrange the speaker on wastewater biogas treatment systems for renewable natural gas (RNG). Find out the latest on new technologies and market trends.
- Students and Young Professionals (SYP) – April Happy Hour: SYP is hosting a happy hour in Berkeley on April 12th. Based on past events, this is a great opportunity for students and young professionals to network with those already working in the industry.
- CWEA’s Annual Conference 2018 (AC18): CWEA’s key event for the year is coming up next month in Sacramento. AC18 includes a full range of high quality technical sessions and training opportunities. If you plan to attend, please note there are also some opportunities to volunteer. Please check out CWEA’s website for more details.
- Calling All Golfers: The SFBS is interested in holding another golfing tournament this year. We need a few volunteers that might be interested in helping with the logistics. Please contact our past president, Ed O’Brien if you can help and thanks in advance!
- Member Appreciation Event – A’s vs. Giants Baseball: This year’s game will be held on Friday, July 20th at the Oakland Coliseum. We’re planning for a pre-game tailgate party, and there will be fireworks after the game.
Please check out our website or contact any board or committee member for additional details.
I hope you can join us.
Calendar of Events:
|Planned Event||Date of Planned Event|
|PDC – Seminar on Preparing for System Outages at Central San in Martinez, CA||3/28/18|
|April Board & Dinner Meeting – Biogas Treatment for Renewable Natural Gas, at Back 40 Texas BBQ in Pleasant Hill, CA||4/5/18|
|SYP – Happy Hour, in Berkeley CA||4/12/18|
|CWEA Annual Conference 2018, Sacramento||4/17-20/18|
|Safety – Supervisors’ Safety Day at Marina Community Center, San Leandro||5/9/18|
|May Board & Dinner Meeting – Topic TBD||5/17/18|
|PDC – Seminar on Recycled Water and Potable Reuse, at SFPUC in San Francisco||5/23/18|
|Collections – O&M Training for Collections, at Service Masters in Concord||6/13/18|
|PDC – O&M Training on Motors and Electrical Systems, TBD||6/TBD/18|
|SFBS Member Appreciation Event – A’s vs Giants Baseball, with tailgate party pre-game and fireworks after, at Oakland Coliseum||7/20/18|
|Joint dinner meeting with RES||9/TBD/18|
|Annual Awards & Installation Banquet, Concord Hilton||1/18/19|
Current SFBS Board Members:
President: Gary Warren, East Bay Municipal Utility District
Vice President: Chathu Abeyrathna, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
1st Year Director: Dennis Lambert, Rodeo Sanitary District
2nd Year Director: Mike Walkowiak, Brown and Caldwell
Past President: Edward A. O’Brien, The Corvello Group
Treasurer: Roya Joseph, West Yost Associates
SFBS Committee Chairs:
Communications: Nick Hansen, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
Collections Systems: Christopher J. Brown, Oro Loma Sanitary District
Laboratory: Daisy Thach-Dalla Betta, Dublin San Ramon Services District
O&M: Joaquin Gonzalez, Delta Diablo Sanitary District
Prof. Development: Brooke Wright, Stantec
Safety: Jerry Ledbetter, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
Students and Young Professionals: Kaitie Zusy, Black & Veatch
Technical Certification Program: Meg Herston, Fairfield Suisun Sewer District