SFBS President’s Message
It looks like spring is here. After some much needed rain, the skies are blue and CWEA’s annual conference AC18 is just weeks away. At the local level, here are a few key events to watch for…
- April Dinner Meeting: It’s not too late to register for our April dinner meeting on April 5th at the Back 40 BBQ in Pleasant Hill. The O&M Committee helped arrange a speaker on wastewater biogas treatment systems for renewable natural gas (RNG). Find out the latest on new technologies and market trends.
- Students and Young Professionals (SYP) – April Happy Hour: SYP is hosting a happy hour in Berkeley on April 12th. This is great opportunity for students and young professionals to network with those already working in the industry.
- Supervisor’s Safety Seminar: The Safety Committee’s annual Supervisor’s Safety Seminar will be held on Wednesday, May 9th at the Marina Community Center in San Leandro. This will include specialized sessions for supervisors and lead staff in the wastewater and water industries. Save the date.
- Recycled Water and Potable Reuse Seminar: The Professional Development Committee (PDC) is planning a full day seminar on recycled water and potable resue, to be hosted by the City of San Francisco on May 23rd. Details to follow.
- Member Appreciation Event – A’s vs. Giants Baseball: Whether you are an A’s or Giant’s fan, we hope you can join us on Friday, July 20th at the Oakland Coliseum. We’re planning for a pre-game tailgate party, and there will be fireworks after the game.
- Calling All Golfers: We need a few more volunteers to help with the logistics. Please contact our past president, Ed O’Brien if you can help and thanks in advance!
CWEA’s Annual Conference 2018 (AC18)
As you likely know, CWEA’s key event for the year is coming up later this month in Sacramento. AC18 includes a full range of technical sessions and training opportunities. If you plan to attend, please note there are also some opportunities to volunteer. Please check out CWEA’s website for more details.
SFBS Calendar of Events
Calendar of Events:
|Planned Event||Date of Planned Event|
|April Board & Dinner Meeting – Biogas Treatment for Renewable Natural Gas, at Back 40 Texas BBQ in Pleasant Hill, CA||4/5/18|
|SYP – Happy Hour, in Berkeley CA||4/12/18|
|CWEA Annual Conference 2018, Sacramento||4/17-20/18|
|Safety Committee – Supervisors’ Safety Day at Marina Community Center, San Leandro||5/9/18|
|May Board & Dinner Meeting – Topic TBD||5/17/18|
|PDC – Seminar on Recycled Water and Potable Reuse, at SFPUC in San Francisco||5/23/18|
|Collections – O&M Training for Collections, at Service Masters in Concord||6/13/18|
|PDC – Motors & Electrical Systems for Operations and Maintenance, at Dublin San Ramon Services District; two day of hands-on training||6/6-7/18|
|SFBS Member Appreciation Event – A’s vs Giants Baseball, with tailgate party pre-game and fireworks after, at Oakland Coliseum||7/20/18|
|Joint dinner meeting with RES||9/TBD/18|
|Annual Awards & Installation Banquet, Concord Hilton||1/18/19|
Current SFBS Board Members:
- President: Gary Warren, East Bay Municipal Utility District
- Vice President: Chathu Abeyrathna, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
- 1st Year Director: Dennis Lambert, Rodeo Sanitary District
- 2nd Year Director: Mike Walkowiak, Brown and Caldwell
- Past President: Ed O’Brien, The Corvello Group
- Treasurer: Roya Joseph, West Yost Associates
SFBS CWEA Liaison: Kevin Calderwood, HDR Engineers
SFBS Committee Chairs:
- Communications: Nick Hansen, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
- Collections Systems: Christopher J. Brown, Oro Loma Sanitary District
- Laboratory: Daisy Thach-Dalla Betta, Dublin San Ramon Services District
- O&M: Joaquin Gonzalez, Delta Diablo Sanitary District
- Prof. Development: Brooke Wright, Stantec
- Safety: Jerry Ledbetter, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
- Students and Young Professionals: Kaitie Zusy, Black & Veatch
- Technical Certification Program: Meg Herston, Fairfield Suisun Sewer District
Please check out our website or contact any board or committee member for additional details. Better yet, there are a wide variety of ways to get involved!
I hope you can join us.