UPCOMING LOCAL EVENTS
The SFBS has a wide range of training and other events to help keep your summer busy. Here are a few key items in the coming months …
· July Dinner Meeting: Our next monthly dinner meeting will be held on Thursday, July 11 and include a presentation by Mike Falk, Senior Professional Associate of HDR, on the collaborative effort of regulators and scientists to implement a science based nutrient management strategy to protect the health of the Bay’s ecosystem. The dinner will be held at Chef’s Experience China Bistro in Hayward.
· Annual Golf Tournament: The SFBS’ annual golf tournament will be on Friday, July 26 at the Lake Chabot Golf Course in Oakland. It’s a great opportunity to hit the links with your peers. If you have any questions or would like to help with the event, please contact Thomas Johnson at 707-718-1656 or email@example.com.
· Member Appreciation Event – A’s vs. Astros Baseball: We are planning for free tacos and limited drink tickets before the game – join us on Friday, August 16 at the Oakland Coliseum. There will be fireworks after the game! Tickets are going on sale now!
· Collections Committee – Collections System O&M Training – Wednesday, August 14, 2019: Collections Committee is organizing an O&M training at the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District ‘s Collection Systems Operations Facility in Walnut Creek. Information about this training will be posted to the website soon.
OTHER LOCAL SECTION NEWS
· Awards: CWEA SF Bay Section Awards portal is live and applications for awards should be submitted no later than Monday, October 21, 2019. Please note the earlier due date. You can apply for awards online through our awards portal: https://cweaawards.secure-platform.com/a.
· Northern Safety Day Training: Monica Myhill of CWEA is looking for volunteers for the Northern Safety Day. The event will be held on Yolo County Fairgrounds in Woodlands, CA and tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, October 23, 2019. Please contact Monica at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
· SFBS Lab Committee: Our local Lab Committee is restarting and looking for a few new committee members and leaders. Please contact Marcel, the committee chair at email@example.com if you are interested in joining or would like more details.
Current SFBS Board Members:
· President: Chathu Abeyrathna, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
· Vice President: Dennis Lambert, Rodeo Sanitary District
· 1st Year Director: Mike Walkowiak, Brown and Caldwell
· 2nd Year Director: Kaitlin Zusy, Black & Veatch
· Past President: Gary Warren, East Bay Municipal Utility District
· Treasurer: Roya Joseph, West Yost Associates
SFBS CWEA Liaison: Kathryn Gies, West Yost Associates
SFBS Committee Chairs:
· Awards: Gary Warren, East Bay Municipal Utility District
· Communications: Nick Hansen, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
· Collections Systems: Tyree Jackson, City of Oakland
· Laboratory: Marcell Rockwell, Clorox
· O&M: Shawn Redmond, Delta Diablo Sanitary District
· Prof. Development: Brad Leidecker, Coombs Hopkins
· Safety: Jerry Ledbetter, Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
· SYP: Matt Kallerud, Carollo Engineers
· TCP: Meg Herston, Fairfield-Suisun Sewer District
There are a wide variety of ways to get involved! As always, I hope you can join us.