Here’s a quick update on what’s happening at the SF Bay Section.
- Prizes for Submitting SFBS Award Nominations: It’s not too late to submit an award nomination! To help encourage nominations, the SFBS will hold a drawing to give out gift cards, $50 each, $250 in total prizes. To enter the drawing, you need to complete and submit an award nomination. The drawing will happen at our November dinner meeting, and winners will be announced at the banquet. So, get those nominations submitted! Please check out the CWEA website for details on submitting nominations.
- SFBS Awards Nominations Due: Friday, 10/26/18
- Annual Banquet & Board Installation: Concord Hilton on Friday, 1/18/19 – save the date!
SFBS Board Election: Nominations just opened for filling an upcoming vacancy on our Board for next year. Nominations will be accepted up until our next dinner meeting, on 11/1/18. We have one nomination so far – Kaitie Zusy, Black and Veatch. Kaitie has been doing a great job with the SYP Committee and would be a great addition to the board if elected. Additional nominations are encouraged. Voting will start after the nominations are closed and run until the December dinner meeting, on 12/6/18. The winner will be announced at the Awards Banquet.
Local Event Calendar
- O&M Committee Training – Hands On Seminar: The O&M committee is holding a full day training seminar on Wednesday, 10/17/18 at the Brentwood Wastewater Treatment Plant. Presenters include: Huber on washer-compactors; Netzsch on PC, lobe and grinder pumps and maintenance; VELODYNE on polymer activation systems; Hatch on on-line process monitoring best practices; and ISCO Industries on fusing of HDPE pipe.
- Water/Wastewater Automation Workshop: The Redwood Empire Section, along with ISA/WEF, will be sponsoring a one day seminar on effective process control on Wednesday, 10/31/18 in Fairfield. Details for this event can be found on CWEA’s event calendar.
- November Dinner Meeting: The Ironhouse Sanitary District will give a presentation on their award winning collection system. The dinner will be held at the Back Forty BBQ in Pleasant Hill on Thursday, 11/1/18. Our SFBS board meeting will be held prior to the dinner for anyone interested.
- PDC Seminar – Pumps 101: This full day seminar on pump basics will be presented by Cornell Pumps and sponsored by MuniQuip. The event will be held on Wednesday, 11/7/18 at the Marina Community Center in San Leandro. The training will cover theory, operations and hands on maintenance demonstrations focusing on centrifugal pumps.
Thanks go out to the vendors, sponsors and hosting agencies that help keep our training costs very affordable. Additional details for these and other CWEA events can be found on the Section’s website. Committees are reminded to get their training and other events posted on our SFBS calendar!
There are a number of volunteer opportunities available in a number of our local committees. This includes the Lab Committee which has an opening for a new committee chair. Please contact any board member or committee leader if you would like more information.
I hope to see you at our November dinner meeting in Pleasant Hill. Thanks!